deutsch | english
You are here: About Boppard / Urban Districts
Aerial pictures of Boppard and the district Buchenau

Boppard – The Core

The name “Boppard” has Celtic roots which implies that the area was populated in Celtic times. In Roman times there was a settlement running along the main military road. Later, after the fall of the Limes, the Romans built a small fort with the name “Bodobrica”. When the Germanic tribes crossed the Rhine, the Roman Military left the fort, leaving a settlement within the safety of the fort walls. In the middle of the 5th century, settlers built their first Christian Church on the site of the Roman baths. In the early Middle Ages, the Franconian Kings built their Royal Courts in the region of the Middle Rhine, the Royal Court in Boppard being a major one of the area. The town developed further into a “free town” and in the 13th century was a member of the Rhenish League of Towns. In 1312 King Heinrich VII pledged the town to his brother, the Elector of Trier, who proceeded to bring the town to its knees by using military force and building a castle in the town centre. Boppard was now under the jurisdiction of the electoral territory of Trier. However it did not surrender easily and many battles were fought. Since the late Middle Ages, Boppard has the following foundations: the St. Severus Church, the Benedictine Convent in the Marienberg, the Franciscan Convent which is situation in the south of the town, as well as the Franciscan monastery and the Carmelite Church. From 1794 until 1813, the town of Boppard, together with the complete Rhine valley, became French. During this time many foundations and convents were closed and the area was unter French admininstration. In 1815 the town became Prussian and lost its function as administrative centre for the region. In following years,the regional position of the town, the founding of  Cold Water Therapy, as well as the building of the railway line in 1859 made way for Boppard becoming a well-known spa and tourism town.

regioNet mittelrhein (Institute for Geographical History in Mainz)